Earth is one of five elements of mother nature, which consists our body.
When all the elements of nature are in equilibrium, the body and mind are healthy and the body becomes disease free. Out of the five elements, mud represents the earth element. Mud therapy has been found to be really helpful in dealing with many diseases including constipation. Mahatma Gandhi also used to practice Mud Therapy to get relief from Constipation.
Mud therapy is commonly applied due to its numerous health benefits. The nature cure therapists apply mud therapy to treat many diseases in the body including wounds, boils, bruises and several other diseases. Usually mud therapy is used coupled with other therapies like hydrotherapy. Mud therapy uses clay and it is applied on various body parts. Mud therapy flushes out or reduces the harmful toxins since mud pack absorbs toxins from the body. Mud pack opens up the skin pores, improves the blood flow to the skin, and relieves the congestion and and reduces heat in the body. Mud therapy had been found to be quite useful in constipation.
Features of Mud Therapy
1. Since mud retains moisture for a long time, it cools the body part when applied and kept for the duration of the treatment.
2. In case of constipation, mud therapy calms the stomach and eliminates intestinal heat and eliminates constipation.
3. Mud is low-cost and readily available. You can also buy it online.
How to do Mud Therapy
Mud therapy is a very simple treatment and really effective. The mud used for this should be unpolluted and taken from 3 to 4 ft. depth from the surface of the ground. Usually the mud near the water bodies which is black in color is ideal. There should be no contamination of stone pieces or chemical manures etc. in the mud. It would good if before utilizing, mud is dried, powdered and sieved to remove small stones, grass particles and other wastes.
Mix the mud with water and knead it adding water in proper quantity so that the mud is neither too tight nor containing too much of water. Place the mud on patient’s entire stomach area. The time of the mud pack application should be around 50 to 60 minutes and repeated for three days. About an hour later take bath with preferably cold water and if it is too cold you can use warm water. Wrap a blanket after you take bath.
How it Works
Applying mud on the abdomen absorbs the heat and activates the bowel. It is effective in decreasing intestinal heat and stimulates bowel movement hence helping in elimination of stool. When applied to abdomen it provides relief in all forms of indigestion and other stomach disorders.
Some other Benefits of Mud Therapy
1. Stomach pain, arthritis patients also benefits from mud therapy.
2. Application of the pack around the eyes is useful in cases of conjunctivitis, hemorrhages in the eyeball, itching, allergy, errors of refraction like short sight and long sight and especially helpful in glaucoma where it helps to reduce eyeball pressure.
3. Mud pack placed on head has been found to be helpful in severe headache and provides quick relief from the pain.
4. Many skin diseases are also cured and the skin gets a luster.